Our Parish History,
A Timeline of Events:
November 11, Holy Ghost Church is organized by Rev. Luigi Paroli, its first pastor.
First edifice was blessed and dedicated on August 17, 1890.
Rev. Antonio Franchi becomes pastor.
Rev. Paolo Novati fills the place held by Rev. Franchi. During
the interval which elapsed between 1894 - 1905, was a period of
intensive expansion and growth under Rev. Novati.
Corner stone of the new Holy Ghost Church dedicated by Bishop Scalabrini of Piacenza.
Rev. Domenico Belliotti becomes pastor.
The new Church of Holy Ghost opened to the public.
The new bells blessed on Janurary 3, 1910
The new flags of Marsano Appio Society christened at patriotic service on February 7, 1910.
Holy Ghost lends $10,000 for the constuction of Mount Carmel Church.
Rev. Flaminio Parenti became pastor of Holy Ghost Church in
Holy Ghost School is established and dedicated, October 8, 1923. The school served students for Elementry to Junior High.
In May 1927, Father Parenti began erected a new rectory, and, while
this work was going on, he modernized the entrance and doors of the
church. The rectory was finished in December of that year. But, these
substantial undertakings were still inadequate for the full
accomplishment of his purposes. Shortly thereafter he provided an
ample and comfortable home on church property immediately adjoining
the school for the good sisters, who devote their lives in imparting
an American education under the fostering light of the Catholic religion.
In 1939, the 50th anniversary of the Holy Ghost parish, Father
Parenti refinished the whole interior of the church in marble and
with artistic mural paintings. A beautiful marble altar, donated by
Mr. Michael A. Gammino, was installed. Father Parenti received the decoration of Chevalier of the Crown from the King of Italy. He is serving with zeal, character and loyalty the Church of the Holy Ghost. The golden jubilee of Holy Ghost Church, Atwells avenue and Knight street, 'mother church' in this diocese of upward of 100,000 residents of Italian extraction, was observed on November 19, 1939. At the conclusion of the Mass the Bishop addressed the congregation congratulating the pastor and the parishioners on the completion of fifty years of parish life. He praised the faith of the original parishioners and urged the same spirit of loyalty and devotion on the part of the present generation of parishioners.The choir of 25 voices was augmented by four string instruments, Choir under direction of Miss Adele A. Gonnella, organist.
On September 9, 1946 a Relic of Mother Cabrini venerated by 500 pilgrims.
Father Parenti recieves Papal Medal at Cathedral Ceremony on December 2.
On January 15, Father Parenti is awarded the Papal Cross.
October 18, work on adding a parish hall is begun.
Father Castaldi celebrates his first mass at Holy Ghost Church, August 6, 1964.
Father Parenti "Shepard of Federal Hill" retires, on December 30, 1964.
75th Anniversary celebrated, February 19, 1966.
New school and day care built. Dedication and blessing took place on October 24.
March 22, 1979 Revernd Peter Polo is named Assistant pastor.
Holy Ghost marks 100 years as Immigrant refuge, November 11, 1989.
Holy Ghost School Closes its doors after 87 years of operation. Announcement made on May 7.
July 1, 2012, Holy Ghost Parish is no longer staffed by the Scalabrinian Missionaries. The identity that shaped its birth, as a Scalabrinian parish in the diocese of Providence, will not fade away. Holy Ghost parish began as a community of immigrants. The pastoral service, first provided to the Italian community, was rooted in the heart of a Bishop, chosen by Divine Providence to draw the attention of the Church to the care of all migrants.
Holy Ghost Church celebrates 125 years as church with an "Open Door Spirit" serving a new generation of immigrants.
The 80th Annual Parish Reunion is celebrated and the stong bonds of parish family and community are recognized.